Sunday, February 21

Missionaries...

WHY am I always writing to a missionary?
I don't understand.
Do I really like all the money spent on postage stamps?
Or packages?
Or is it the long wait in between hearing from them?
I'm impatient.
Can't possibly be the wait I enjoy.
So what is it?
Because, honestly, none of it sounds pleasant.
I have written a lot of missionaries. My first experience was when I was eight, with my sister's husband ("Her Missionary" at the time), Greg. I probably wrote him two letters while he was gone, but for the sake of the story, it counts! haha... Then my next experience was with my brother, Kade, like eight years later. I wrote him a letter maybe once a month, maybe every other month, whatever.. I mostly e-mailed him every week. I also wrote to a friend's cousin on his mission. Chris Downey and I would write every so often, but it eventually became only e-mailing. Then I only ever e-mailed Brent Jessop.. All of this e-mailing was a BAD idea! I got used to how great e-mails were! And now most missions have the rule that if you're not imediate family.. NO e-mailing. POO.  :(
Now.. I've had a few friends that I have written who stayed stateside, or had the pouch mail option, and only required the 44 cent stamps! Thank you, boys and girls!! However... two of the missionaries I have written to the most went to Australia. That's a 98 cent stamp, kids!!
I know, it really doesn't seem like a big deal... But let's just say you send a letter to the missionary once a month.. that's 98 cents a month.. equaling $11.76 a year.. and $23.52 for the 2 years... That's not taking into account the $45 it is to send a package.. So say you send a letter once a month and one package... That is approximately $70 dollars in two years.
 
Okay... let's look at a missionary in The States, shall we? Say you write to that missionary once a month that is $5.28 a year and $10.56 for two years... Even if you write that missionary twice a month it's cheaper than sending ONE letter to Australia! And packages.. OY! They are only $11 (roughly) if they stay in The States!! So two letters a month and one package would only approximate to $35! HALF as much!!
So I ask you again,
WHY?
Why do I LOVE writing missionaries?
Maybe its the joy I get each time I see that amazing white envelope with my name on it..
Maybe its how happy I am when I get pictures..
Maybe its how cute some missionaries are in their letters..
Maybe its the way they get mad when they don't hear from you for a little while...
Maybe its the follow up letter.. reminding you they are still waiting to hear back from you...
      -Thank you, Chris Gerona!! ;)
Maybe its the way their letters turn a terrible day into an AMAZING one...
Maybe its how glad they are to just get any kind of mail...
Maybe its how grateful they are to get a package from someone other than their mom!...
      -Even if it is a cheesey Valentine's Day package filled with crap... haha
Maybe its the hope of them coming back from Australia with that sexy accent!!..
      -Thanks for ruining that one, Brett!! Come on, Chris.. I still have faith you'll pick it up!! ;)
Maybe its the way they make me smile with no effort...
Maybe its the way their words can fix any problem I'm having...
Maybe its that I can come up with more reasons I LIKE writing them, than reasons its a pain!
However....
Good news kids!!! My latest victim will be home in ONE YEAR!! Yes! 12 fast sundays!! And then... I'm DONE! Done writing missionaries!! Well, writing missionaries consistantly! haha I'll still write the occasional letter to any cousins out on missions. But I will be done with having friends gone!
Most of my friends think its funny to tease me and say I'll find another missionary to write.. But I won't. I really am done!! Someone hold me to that!! haha
I LOVE MISSIONARIES!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey this is my topic for my lesson I'm teaching next week! found this very awesome! ;)

    ReplyDelete